Sunday, July 27, 2014

On my Way to Nirvana



It was featured on our school newspaper this year. Comments, suggestions, criticisms, please please... 
(This is the original one. Our school newspaper adviser edited this and I don't have that copy)


On my Way to Nirvana
by Richanela G. Flores

I still remember when we all filed into this classroom four years ago. We looked playful,young girls and boys. But now, we’re all matured, grown-up ladies and gentlemen.

Ups and downs; friends and enemies; smiles and tears; and victories and trials are part of my journey. There are a lot of things that took place, and surely there are so many changes that happened to me--- physically, emotionally, socially and intellectually.

I’m writing this piece for you, my dear younger earthlings, to share some of the lessons I learned in my high school life.

“Everything happens for a reason.” As we grow older, things seem more complicated than the past. Challenges and trials are inevitable. Trials come for a reason we don’t know. We fail in some subjects, lose in some competitions; however, life goes on. Go with the flow. That’s it. Worrying, crying, bragging, and over thinking make no sense at all. Enjoy your journey, face the challenges, trust God, do your best, and you’ll see how great life is.

“Do not compare yourself to other people.” We don’t know what other people are going through, so we shouldn’t judge them. Don’t envy what other kids have. Count your blessings instead. Enjoy and treasure what you have at the moment.

“No man is an island.” You’re not alone! Get along well with others! Find good friends.It’s either they inspire you or you’re the one to inspire them. They are your brothers and sisters in school. 

“True love waits.  In the long run, you’ll  meet different people. Surely, you’ll  admire some of them. Crush? That’s normal in teenagers. Boyfriend-and-girlfriend relationship?In my opinion, there’s nothing bad in that, as long as it serves as inspiration in your studies and everyday life. However, don’t focus too much in love. You’re too young to be stressed in that thing. YOLO(You only live once)! There is this right person destined for you in the right time and for that perfect reason. All you have to do is to wait.

“Be yourself.”  Don’t change who you are just because people tell you to do so. You are yourself. You are unique.

“Don’t rush things.” Great things take time. Be quick, but don’t hurry. Never force things into happening. Let everything fall into place just how it should, on its own. If it’s meant to happen, it  will  eventually happen. Let things happen naturally and you will notice how much happier you will be when they happen unexpectedly. 

“In the end, we only regret the chances we didn’t take.” Opportunity knocks once,so grab it. Some things are meant to be your first and last. Second chances are rare, so use your first chance wisely. 

“Today is never too late to start something new.” Nobody’s perfect. If you fail today,there’s always tomorrow. 

I know that we should never have regrets. We should live life to the fullest and just go for it. But once in my life, I actually do regret. It is something that I continually thought about and hoped to change to make it better. However, after it ended, I learned so much about myself and know the value of the lesson it brought. I never thought that I would have that opportunity. We should just learn from our experiences and move on instead of regretting it.

People make mistakes, and that’s normal. Some of us wishes to turn back time just to correct or delete the mistakes we’ve done. If only there is a time machine that we can use to go back in the past just to edit or delete those not-so-good happenings in our lives, we would purchase and use those time machines. However, those time machines just exist in fictional stories, cartoons, and movies. Time is very precious in the fact that we can’t get and buy it anywhere, so we should use and consume it wisely. We should put and exert our best for every opportunity that came in our lives, because some chances given to us is just now or never.

If God can forgive people for their countless sins, why do some people can’t forgive others and give them second chance? Don’t they think that the second time will work out better than the first since people already learned their lesson in the first one?

I do believe that we all need second chances. Nobody’s perfect. I may be in my 700th second chance right now, but I’m not ashamed to admit it. Because even though I have failed a lot, it means I have tried a lot, too.

We rarely get things right in the first time. Almost every major accomplishment in a person’s life starts with trying again and again in spite of difficulties, discouragement, and obstacles we encounter.

They say that the only difference between an opportunity and an obstacle is attitude. Getting a second chance in life is about giving yourself the opportunity to grow beyond your past failures. It’s about positively adjusting your attitude toward future possibilities.

When people struggle, it makes them stronger in the end. I am lucky to be still alive today, and I am grateful for what I have now and who I am.


A quote from Dawn Stanyon that inspires me a lot: “It’s okay not to be perfect. It’s okay to make mistakes. It’s okay to do something that you wish you hadn’t done, because if you hadn’t done those things, you never grow.”



No comments:

Post a Comment